These delicious little jalapeño poppers make a fabulous appetizer for a party or game day gathering. Jalapeño peppers are stuffed with a cheddar and cream cheese mixture and then they're battered and deep-fried to perfection.
I used small yellow peppers for the poppers shown in the picture because that's what I had, but red or green, or a milder small pepper may be substituted. If you use jalapeño peppers for the recipe, make sure they are rather large and plump.
Because of the heat of the peppers, take care when working with them. I recommend gloves. If you don't have gloves, put plastic bags over your hands as you work. The capsaicin in the peppers gives them their spicy hot flavor, but it can also cause an unpleasant burning sensation if the peppers come in contact with the skin.
If you do happen to get some of the hot pepper oils on your hands, don't touch your eyes or face. To lessen the burn, try washing your hands with dish soap (preferably Dawn, because it dissolves oil so well). Other possible remedies include vegetable oil, a weak bleach solution, milk or yogurt, and a baking soda paste. Prevention (gloves) is the best remedy!
- Slice jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Combine the cream cheese and Cheddar, mixing until well blended. Fill the jalapeño pepper halves with cream cheese mixture and press halves back together.
- Put milk in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the salt and flour in a shallow bowl.
- Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the peppers in the milk, then in the flour, coating thoroughly. Set them on a sheet of foil or waxed paper to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Dip the peppers in the milk again, then in the bread crumbs. Let them dry again for 10 to 15 minutes. If necessary, dip again lightly in the milk and again in the bread crumbs and let dry again.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in deep fryer to 370 F.
- Deep fry the breaded jalapeño peppers in batches for about 3 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Transfer jalapeño poppers to paper towels to drain.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|