This grilled turkey not only gets the moisture of the beer can, but the great flavor of Jamaican jerk seasonings. This is a turkey that will become a quick favorite—it's full of flavor, moist and incredibly tender.
- For the Jerk Seasoning
- 1 cup/240 ml green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 ml cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 ml parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml fresh thyme (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml lime juice
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml cumin
- 1/2 cup/120 ml soy sauce
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 ml cooking oil, plus more to coat the turkey
- For the Turkey
- 1 (15-pound/7 kg) whole turkey
- 1 (24-ounce/360 ml) can beer
Gather the ingredients and prepare grill for indirect grilling.
Combine everything for the jerk seasoning in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Rub the jerk mixture all over the surface of the turkey. Try to work it under the skin as much as possible.
Open can and dispose of about 1/4 of the beer.
Place the can of beer over unheated portion of the grill. The can needs to be very stable on the grill.
Lower the turkey over the beer can so that the can fits entirely inside the cavity of the turkey.
Cook over a medium to medium-high heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
If cooking a larger or smaller bird, adjust cooking times. Check for an internal temperature in the thigh of the turkey of 165 F/74 C before removing it from the grill.
When the turkey is done, remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve and enjoy!