|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 Flank Steak (4 to 6 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This flank steak recipe incorporates the traditional ingredients of jerk seasoning into a thick, flavorful marinade that works its way deep into the meat.
While the pepper of choice for this recipe is the scotch bonnet, you may use any type of chili pepper available to you. Serve sliced over rice and top with tropical fruit for a delicious Caribbean treat.
- 1 flank steak, about 2 pounds/900 grams
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL green onion (chopped)
- juice of one lime
- 1/3 cup/80 mL flat-leaf parsley or 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 large chili peppers or 1 small scotch bonnet (seeded and deveined)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL dark rum
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon/30 mL brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL allspice
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
Place flank steak into a resealable plastic bag.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Pour mixture over flank steak making sure it is well distributed, seal bag and place into the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Remove flank steak from the bag but DO NOT throw away marinade.
Place the flank steak onto the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes per side.
While steak is cooking, place reserved marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Reducing the heat can be done using the side burner of your grill.
Once steak is cooked, remove from heat and allow it rest for 5 minutes before carving. Slice meat and top with sauce and diced tropical fruit.