You've heard of Jamaican Jerk seasonings and rubs, well this jerk marinade gets that great flavor deep into the meat. Use this mixture on any meat and most vegetables.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher or sea salt is preferable)
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican Pimento (or ground allspice)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: dash hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Depending on size of blender, this process might need to be done in batches.
- Use marinade right away or if making ahead, simply store in an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. We recommend making this the day before using to let the flavors marry well, however, it is not required.
- For chicken, marinate 2 to 4 hours.
- For pork, marinate for 2 to 8 hours.
- Marinate vegetable and meat substitutes for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If using on fish and seafood, marinate no more than 30 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|