|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 51mg||253%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Hamburger soup is an old-fashioned family favorite that is both easy and budget-friendly. Dry onion soup mix, tomato sauce, and beef stock make a flavorful broth, while the ground beef, pasta, and a variety of vegetables make it a nutritious, stick-to-your-ribs soup.
Feel free to use less pasta for a lower carb version, or replace the pasta and barley with extra vegetables or 2 to 3 cups of shredded cabbage.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-ounce) package mixed frozen vegetables, carrots, cut green beans, lima beans, corn kernels
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth, or about 2 cups homemade beef stock, preferably low-sodium or unsalted
1 green pepper, chopped
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup barley
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 cup uncooked macaroni
Brown the ground beef in a skillet or sauté pan; drain off excess fat. You can reduce fat content even further by placing the beef in a colander and running hot water over it.
Put the beef and all ingredients except the pasta into the slow cooker. Add water to within an inch or so of the top of the crock pot.
Cover and cook the soup on low for 8 hours. Alternatively, cook the soup on high for about 3 to 4 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving, cook pasta in boiling salted water; add to the crock pot and heat through.
- Cooking fats and oil can clog drains. Keep a jar with a lid nearby to collect excess fats. When it's full, put the lid on it and toss it in the garbage.
- Omit the barley and replace the macaroni with 1 1/2 to 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Add 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes to the pot along with the tomato sauce for extra tomato texture and flavor.
- Instead of seasoned salt, flavor the soup with Cajun or Creole seasoning or another blend. If the blend is salt-free, taste the soup before serving and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- If using frozen peas, thaw them and add them to the pot about 15 minutes before the soup is ready.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of diced zucchini or summer squash to the pot about 30 minutes before it is ready.