|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (1 pound) package mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, beans, corn, and peas)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped, including tops
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can beef broth or about 2 cups homemade beef stock
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped parsley (or 2 tablespoons dried parsley)
- 1 (7 ounces) package small alphabet-shaped pasta (can substitute other small pasta like orzo, shells, or macaroni, if desired
Put the beef and all ingredients except the pasta into the crockpot. Add water to within an inch or so of the top of the crockpot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving, cook pasta in boiling salted water; add to the crockpot.