This mild jerk seasoning adds a fantastic flavor to turkey whether you're going to grill, smoke or deep fry it. Remember, when applying a rub to poultry, you have to get it under the skin. Otherwise, the skin blocks flavor and won't let the rub penetrate. If you'd like to ramp up the spiciness of this rub, try adding one of the optional ingredients.
- 1 cup/240 ml brown sugar
- 1/3 cup/80 ml sugar
- 1/4 cup/60 ml salt
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml onion powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml white pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml black pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon/5 ml powdered smoke flavoring
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Combine everything in a medium bowl and taste. If opting for a spicier rub, add cayenne pepper a little bit at a time. Taste, and add more if needed. Use immediately.
If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container in a cool cupboard for up to 6 months. Do not store any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.