This cheese babka recipe is one of my favorites. Instead of being baked in a swirly babka pan the Poles use, this recipe is baked in a loaf pan and has a streusel topping.
This recipe makes 3 loaves but they freeze very well. Freeze the leftover egg whites and save them for leftover egg white recipes.
See also this Polish Cheese Babka Recipe. Here's a larger picture of Jewish Cheese Babka.
- 2 packages yeast (active dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water (warmed 110 F)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks (room-temperature, beaten)
- 5 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 2 1/4 pounds/36 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Egg Wash
- 1 large egg white (room temperature, beaten)
- Crumb Topping
- 6 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (cold)
Make the Dough
- Stir yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar into warm water. Set aside until frothy. Grease three (9-by-5-inch) loaf pans.
- Scald the milk and place in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add 4 ounces room-temperature butter and stir to melt. Add 1/2 cup sugar, salt, yeast mixture, and 3 beaten egg yolks.
- Add flour and knead until shiny and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat both sides, cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled. This may take as long as 2 hours.
Make the Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, 3 egg yolks and 1 1/2 cups sugar until smooth. Set aside.
Make the Crumb Topping
- In a small bowl, prepare the crumb topping by mixing together 6 tablespoons flour and 8 tablespoons sugar and cutting in 4 tablespoons cold butter as for pie dough. Set aside.
Assemble the Cheese Babkas
- Punch down risen dough and divide into three parts. Working with one part at a time and covering the rest, roll into a large rectangle 1/8-inch thick.
- Spread dough with 1/3 of the cheese filling. Fold in the sides of dough and roll up tightly as for a jellyroll. Place in one of the prepared pans. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with 1/3 of the crumb topping.
- Repeat with remaining dough and remaining two loaf pans. Cover loaf pans with greased plastic wrap and let rise until above the rim of the pan.
- Place rack in center of oven and heat to 350 degrees. Bake babkas for 40 to 50 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Using a knife, loosen babka from sides of pan. Cool completely in the loaf pan. Then turn out onto a rack.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|