This Jewish mandelbrot recipe isn't suitable for Passover because flour is used, but it's delicious any other time of the year. Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread and is actually a twice-baked cookie loved by Ashkenazi (Eastern European) Jews.
Mandelbrot originated either from Italian biscotti or the Sephardic biscochadas dulces. Mandelbrot keeps and freezes well. The essential ingredient -- almonds -- has a symbolic significance since it is mentioned 73 times in the Bible.
- 4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups almonds (coarsely chopped)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. In another large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs until well blended. Increase the speed to high and beat in the sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until mixture is thick and foamy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add oil and extract(s) to the eggs and beat briefly to blend. Replace whisk with the paddle attachment and, on lowest speed, beat in flour mixture and almonds just until mixture holds together. It will be soft, but shouldn't be too sticky. If necessary, add a few more tablespoons of flour.
- Divide dough in half. Dampen hands lightly and form each half into a 3-inch-by-12-inch log on the prepared baking sheet, spacing 4 inches apart. Bake about 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully place logs on a cutting board and cut diagonally with a serrated knife or a ham slicer into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices.
- Place pieces cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake 5 minutes longer or until completely dry. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months or freeze.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|