A pleasant seasonal mix, Jason Westplate's rendition of the Poinsettia Punch is an excellent cocktail to serve during the holiday season.
This recipe includes the traditional choice of gin, though it opts for a modern interpretation found in Hendrick's. That gin's cucumber accents are a nice background for the customary allspice and cinnamon syrup of the Poinsettia, but then he brings in the sweetness of Chambord and finishes the cocktail off with three different bitters that really add a spark to the drink.
It is a pleasing cocktail with a universally appealing taste and a lot of interesting flavors, just enough to make it unusual.
- Combine liquors, juice, dram, syrup and bitters in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake, and strain into a chilled lowball glass with a king cube
- Rim the glass with a flamed lemon peel and drop in to garnish.
*Homemade Cinnamon Syrup
- Bring sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds, and 1 cup water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan.
- Cook briefly to dissolve sugar.
- Cool; strain. Refrigerate up to 3 months.
(Recipe Courtesy: Jason Westplate)