John Mitzewich wrote for The Spruce for over three years, contributing recipes and articles.
- Chef instructor at the California Culinary Academy for five years
- YouTube personality with over 600 million views on his channel
- Food writer who has published hundreds of recipes and articles online and in print, including videos, blogs, and more
John has more than 20 years of successful experience in the American food industry. He has held just about every position possible, from dishwasher to chef. He taught for five years as a chef instructor at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, California. The classes included garde manger, purchasing, kitchen math, and food industry software applications.
He enjoyed nine years of successful restaurant experience at various San Francisco locations. Highlights include executive sous chef at the Carnelian Room in the Bank of America, sous chef at Ryans' Café, and garde manger at the San Francisco Opera House.
His additional experience includes over 15 years of catering experience and 10 years of experience in graphic design/desktop publishing.
John graduated from Paul Smith's College, New York, with an associate of applied science degree, with honors, in culinary arts/chef training.
Awards and Publications
- 1983 Outstanding Chef Training Student, Paul Smith's College
- Most Innovative Video Content: Saveur's 1st Annual Food Blog Awards
- Best Home Chef in a Series: The TasteTV Tasty Awards
- "America's Family Favorites: Best of Home Cooking," (Parragon Books, 2011)
- Food Wishes Video Recipes With Chef John
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.