John Mitzewich wrote for The Spruce for over three years, contributing recipes and articles.
- Chef instructor at the California Culinary Academy for five years
- YouTube personality with over 600 million views on his channel
- Food writer who has published hundreds of recipes and articles online and in print, including videos, blogs, and more
John has more than 20 years of successful experience in the American food industry. He has held just about every position possible, from dishwasher to chef. He taught for five years as a chef instructor at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, California. The classes included garde manger, purchasing, kitchen math, and food industry software applications.
He enjoyed nine years of successful restaurant experience at various San Francisco locations. Highlights include executive sous chef at the Carnelian Room in the Bank of America, sous chef at Ryans' Café, and garde manger at the San Francisco Opera House.
His additional experience includes over 15 years of catering experience and 10 years of experience in graphic design/desktop publishing.
John graduated from Paul Smith's College, New York, with an associate of applied science degree, with honors, in culinary arts/chef training.
Awards and Publications
- 1983 Outstanding Chef Training Student, Paul Smith's College
- Most Innovative Video Content: Saveur's 1st Annual Food Blog Awards
- Best Home Chef in a Series: The TasteTV Tasty Awards
- "America's Family Favorites: Best of Home Cooking," (Parragon Books, 2011)
- Food Wishes Video Recipes With Chef John
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.