- 2 pounds prepared watermelon rind
- 1 tablespoon pickling lime
- 4 cups clear (distilled vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 small pieces cinnamon stick
- Prepare and remove all green and pink portion from watermelon rind. cut in small pieces and soak for three hours in lime water made from the lime mixed with one quart of water. Drain and rinse the watermelon rind.
- Cover with fresh cold water and boil for one hour, or until tender. Drain the watermelon. Cover with a weak vinegar solution (one cup in two cups of water) and allow to stand overnight.
- Discard the liquid the next morning and make a syrup of the three cups of vinegar, one cup water, sugar and spices. Heat the syrup to the simmering point. Remove from heat, cover and let the mixture steep for one hour to extract the flavor from the spices.
- Add the drained watermelon to syrup and cook gently for two hours or until the syrup is fairly thick.
- Pack the fruit and syrup in pint-standard canning jars.
- Adjust the jar lids and bands. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)