|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||53%|
|Total Carbohydrate 69g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Judy's pineapple layer cake recipe is a great tropical summer dessert. The pineapple filling for the cake is used in between the layers and as a topping for both the sides and top; and is a cooked mixture of pineapple, sugar, butter, and eggs.
The perfect dessert for those summer barbecues and picnics, this cake will be a great ending to a meal filled with barbecued ribs or chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, and baked beans. Top it off with some whipped topping or ice cream for an even more refreshing dessert.
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 3 cups (13 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 egg (just whites, stiffly beaten, reserve yolks for filling)
- For the Pineapple Filling:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple, crushed, undrained
- 6 egg yolks (remaining from the cake)
- 1 stick (4 ounces) margarine or butter
Make the Cake
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream 2 cups of sugar and 2 sticks of butter together until light and fluffy.
Combine 3 cups of flour and baking powder in another bowl.
Add the flour mixture alternately with milk to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
Divide batter among the three prepared cake pans.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until layers test done. Remove from pans and cool.
Make the Pineapple Filling
Gather the ingredients.
In a saucepan, stir 3 tablespoons of flour and 1 1/2 cups of sugar together. Add pineapple and egg yolks, blending well. Add 1 stick of margarine or butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
Spread filling between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- The pineapple filling is also delicious over vanilla ice cream.
- For an even more tropical flavor, add a cup of flaked sweetened coconut to the pineapple filling mixture.