Julie Laing has been a writer and editor for more than 25 years and currently specializes in pickling, preserving, sourdough baking, and generally making good food from scratch year-round. She published her first cookbook, The Complete Guide to Pickling, in 2020.
- Julie has written for The Spruce Eats since January 2021.
- She is the author of The Complete Guide to Pickling: Pickle and Ferment Everything Your Garden or Market Has to Offer (Rockridge Press, 2020); The Pickled Picnic (Twice As Tasty, 2020); and TwiceAsTasty.com, a food blog focused on eating well year-round.
- Her writing has also appeared in the 2020 Waggoner Cruising Guide, 406 Woman Magazine, and numerous local newspapers and magazines.
Julie’s 25-year-plus career has spanned jobs from music critic in Southern California to ad work in London, to editing positions in San Francisco and St. Petersburg, Russia. Since 2003, she has worked as a freelance writer and editor from her home in Bigfork, Montana. She also teaches cooking workshops and prepares food as a personal chef. Each year, Julie and her husband, George, fill every spare space in their 500-square-foot cabin with homegrown and home-preserved food. When they’re not at home, Julie and George are most likely sailing aboard the Blue Mule.
Julie has a bachelor’s degree in English with journalism emphasis from Chapman University.
- The Complete Guide to Pickling, Rockridge Press
- The Pickled Picnic, Twice as Tasty
- Potato Bowl with Black Bean Sauté, Waggoner Cruising Guide
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.