Julie Laing has been a writer and editor for more than 25 years and currently specializes in pickling, preserving, sourdough baking, and generally making good food from scratch year-round. She published her first cookbook, The Complete Guide to Pickling, in 2020.
- Julie has written for The Spruce Eats since January 2021.
- She is the author of The Complete Guide to Pickling: Pickle and Ferment Everything Your Garden or Market Has to Offer (Rockridge Press, 2020); The Pickled Picnic (Twice As Tasty, 2020); and TwiceAsTasty.com, a food blog focused on eating well year-round.
- Her writing has also appeared in the 2020 Waggoner Cruising Guide, 406 Woman Magazine, and numerous local newspapers and magazines.
Julie’s 25-year-plus career has spanned jobs from music critic in Southern California to ad work in London, to editing positions in San Francisco and St. Petersburg, Russia. Since 2003, she has worked as a freelance writer and editor from her home in Bigfork, Montana. She also teaches cooking workshops and prepares food as a personal chef. Each year, Julie and her husband, George, fill every spare space in their 500-square-foot cabin with homegrown and home-preserved food. When they’re not at home, Julie and George are most likely sailing aboard the Blue Mule.
Julie has a bachelor’s degree in English with journalism emphasis from Chapman University.
- The Complete Guide to Pickling, Rockridge Press
- The Pickled Picnic, Twice as Tasty
- Potato Bowl with Black Bean Sauté, Waggoner Cruising Guide
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.