Another popular North Indian dish is kaali daal or daal makkhani. Black lentils are cooked with spices, tomatoes and cream for a wholesome and delicious dish also known as ma ki daal (mom's lentils) for its comfort-food qualities.
Serve kaali daal/daal makkhani with a vegetable side dish and naan (tandoor-baked flatbread) or with butter chicken and naan.
The lentils will need to soak in water overnight so plan accordingly.
- 1 cup split urad daal (black lentils, soaked overnight in water to cover)
- 3 cups water
- 2 large onions (sliced thin)
- 2 green chilies (slit)
- Pinch of asafetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (like vegetable, canola or sunflower)
- 2-inch piece of ginger (julienned)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped into cubes)
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (whisked)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Soak the urad daal (black lentils) in a bowl of water overnight.
- Boil the soaked lentils with 3 cups of water, 1 sliced onion, green chilies, asafetida and salt to taste till they are very tender. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and fry the other onion until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin and red chili powder and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved boiled lentils and enough water to make a thick gravy-like consistency and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the whisked cream and mix well. Turn off the fire.
- In another small pan, heat the ghee and when hot add the cumin seeds and cook till they stop spluttering.
- Pour this into the lentils (it will all sizzle) and mix well.
- Serve hot with a vegetable side dish and naans (tandoor-baked leavened Indian flatbread) or butter chicken and naan.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|