In this dish, the slightly sweet flavor of the pumpkin is offset by the heat from the chilies and the tanginess from the raw mango powder. Serve it with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread).
- About 1 lb. (500 gms) pumpkin, seeds removed, cut into 1" cubes (keep or remove skin as you prefer)
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. raw mango powder
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable/canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a flat pan and add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and fry till spluttering stops.
- Add the dry red chilies and fry for half a minute.
- Add the garlic and onions and fry till onion is soft.
- Add the powdered spices and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar and season with salt. Mix well.
- Cook till pumpkin is soft. Sprinkle with a little water only if needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|