This popular dessert is layered with chocolate cake, Kahlua, pudding, and whipped topping. Add sliced strawberries or bananas to the layers, or top it with another candy or nuts and grated chocolate. One reader added a can of cherry pie filling to make it a "Black Forest" bowl cake. Another reader skipped the liqueur and used strong black coffee in its place.
It's a great chilled dessert for the summer months, and it can be enjoyed any time of the year. Bake it for a Halloween bash or Christmas party.
The cake is always the hit of the party, and it's really easy to prepare and bake. Use a chocolate cake mix cake or use a homemade cake recipe. The baked cake is cut into cubes and then it's assembled in a large bowl with pudding, coffee liqueur, whipped topping, and candy.
- 1 chocolate cake (from a mix or homemade, baked in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan)
- 1 package chocolate instant pudding (4 serving size, with milk as directed)
- 1/2 cup Kahlua (or a similar coffee liqueur)
- 12 ounces whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 1 chocolate toffee candy bar (Skor)
- Using a chocolate cake mix or a recipe for a homemade cake, prepare and bake the cake in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the pudding with milk following the package directions.
- Cool the baked cake on a rack.
- Cut the cake into cubes.
- Put half of the cake cubes into a 2-quart bowl.
- Drizzle half of the Kahlua over the cake cubes.,
- Spread half of the prepared pudding over the cake and Kahlua layer and then spread half of the whipped topping over the pudding.
- Repeat the layers and then break the Skor bar up and sprinkle the pieces over the top.
Tips and Variations
- Top the whipped topping with grated chocolate and toasted nuts or coconut.
- Add a layer of sliced fruit, berries, or cherry pie filling.
- Use another liqueur. Try hazelnut liqueur with chopped toasted hazelnuts, a cherry liqueur with cherry pie filling, or raspberry liqueur with fresh raspberries or raspberry preserves.
- If you prefer to avoid alcohol, substitute some strong black coffee or espresso for the Kahlua.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||51 g|
|Saturated Fat||31 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|