- 2 1/4 pounds squid (cleaned)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of wine (dry, white or red)
- 3/4 cup of rice (preferably long grain)
- 1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/4 bunch parsley (fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 1/4 cups of water
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- Chop up the squid tentacles into small pieces.
- Stir the tomato paste into the wine until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 340F (170C).
In a frying pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and 1/2 the chopped tentacles in the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the onion has softened and the mixture is steaming, stir in the wine and tomato paste mixture. Stir in parsley and cook until the mixture thickens slightly.
Stir in 1/2 the water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, turn off the heat, and wait for the rice to expand, about 15 minutes.
Using a spoon (or small measuring spoon for small squid), fill the squid tubes with the stuffing, to 1/2 inch from the top. Thread the top with one or more toothpicks to close and place in a baking pan. Add remaining stuffing, chopped tentacles, and remaining water.
Bake at 340F (170C) for one hour and 10 minutes.
Remove toothpicks before serving.
Yield: serves 6
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|