|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a hearty soup, made with spicy sausage, canned white beans, and chopped kale, along with tomatoes and other vegetables. This soup makes a delicious meal with hot baked cornbread or crusty warm rolls.
I made this with great northern beans and spicy andouille sausage. Polish sausage or another type of smoked sausage may be used as well.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage (or smoked sausages, diced or thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (about 8 to 10 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (15 oz) can beans (e.g., great northern or navy beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: Dash Tabasco sauce (or similar hot pepper sauce)
In a large skillet or sauté pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onions, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and sausage. Sauté, stirring, until onion is just tender.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add kale and garlic; cover and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients; cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Taste and adjust salt, as needed.