|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||51%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a hearty soup made with spicy sausage, canned white beans, and chopped kale, along with tomatoes and other vegetables. This soup makes a delicious meal with hot baked cornbread or warm crusty rolls.
We made this with great northern beans and spicy andouille sausage. Polish sausage or another type of smoked sausage may be used as well.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (diced)
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage (or smoked sausages, diced or thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch kale (chopped, about 8 to 10 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (15 oz) can beans (e.g., great northern or navy beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: Dash Tabasco sauce (or similar hot pepper sauce)
In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onions, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and sausage. Sauté, stirring, until onion is just tender.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add kale and garlic; cover and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients; cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Taste and adjust salt, as needed.