This is a great luau-style pork recipe that doesn't require a whole hog or a big hole in the backyard. Consider this the smoker version of a luau pig.
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) pork butt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) liquid smoke
- 4 banana leaves
- With a sharp knife, make several shallow long cuts along the roast. Rub with salt and liquid smoke. Wrap with banana leaves until completely covered. Tie securely with twine. Cover with aluminum foil and place in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove foil and place in a shallow pan with water. Place in smoker at about 220 degrees for 6 to 8 hours.
- When done, remove leaves and shred pork. Traditionally this is served with poi and sweet potatoes, but it's great on a sandwich too.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|