- 1 1/4 cup/300 milliliters ketchup
- 1 cup/240 milliliters water
- 1/3 cup/80 milliliters cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup/60 milliliters dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters molasses
- 1 tablespoon/15 milliliters onion powder
- 1 tablespoon/15 milliliters garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon/15 milliliters black pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters celery salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters allspice
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters cayenne (use less if desired)
Gather the ingredients.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be good and thick.
Remove pot from heat and allow the sauce to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before using it. If making ahead of time, cool sauce for 30 minutes and then store in an airtight container.
Keep in refrigerator for 5 days after initial preparation. Warm sauce on the stovetop or in the microwave before using it. The sauce should be warm, but not too hot. Use on ribs or as instructed or serve as a side sauce.