You'll love this recipe for kataife, a delicious, yet simple Greek pastry made with shredded wheat cereal and topped with a sweet lemon syrup.
- 3 lbs. shredded wheat cereal
- 6 cups walnuts chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. melted, sweet butter
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 Lemon, juiced.
To Make the Kataife:
- Preheat oven to 300 Fahrenheit
- Spread out half of the shredded wheat on a greased 2x13 pan
- Pour half of the melted butter over it.
- Mix the nuts and cinnamon together and sprinkle over shredded wheat.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients
- Pour remainder of butter over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes
To Make the Syrup:
- Combine sugar, water and lemon juice in saucepan
- Cook for 20 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Allow to cool before pouring over kataife.
- Cool before serving. Serves 10-12.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||86 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|