|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||68%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Most days of the year aren't your birthday, but that doesn't mean you don't deserve a mini birthday cake regardless. Mug cakes are one of the easiest and quickest ways to enjoy a festive dessert treat. They're individually sized cakes that are mixed without much equipment, then baked in a microwave. From start to finish, a mug cake is ready to eat just a few minutes, making it the ideal treat to satisfy hangry cravings.
Typically wheat flour and sugar are the base for mug cakes, but we've swapped the wheat flour for a blend of almond and coconut, and the sugar for a noncaloric granular sweetener to make this keto friendly.
While this vanilla cake is perfect on its own and has a fun birthday vanilla feel, adding sprinkles will enhance its party vibe. There are numerous brands of sugar-free, keto-diet friendly sprinkles available online.
2 tablespoons almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon keto granulated sweetener
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon keto sprinkles, optional
Gather all the ingredients.
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a small microwavable mug or bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Gently stir in the sprinkles, if using.
Microwave the cake on high for 1 minute. Let cool slightly before eating. Serve on its own or topped with a keto-friendly whipped cream or frosting.
- The most common issue for mug cake is overcooking, making the cake dry. To make sure your cake is moist, begin by microwaving the cake for 45 seconds instead of 1 minute. Add 5 second increments after that, in case a full 60 seconds is too long.
- Because the vanilla is the main flavor of this cake, it's helpful to use a high-quality extract. Choose real vanilla over an artificial vanilla flavor if possible. Additionally, an alcohol-based extract will have a more true vanilla taste than a glycerin-based vanilla flavoring.
Mix It Up!
You can stir in a variety of goodies and mix-ins to the batter before microwaving. Items that work well and keep this keto friendly include:
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon crushed nuts, such as pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon small seeds, such as sesame or poppy seed
Top It Off!
- If you'd like to frost this cake, let it cool for at least five minutes before doing so.
- The quickest option that would work well for frosting is heavy cream whipped with a powdered keto sweetener.
- If you'd like to take the time to make frosting, try one of these (note that you will have at least two servings extra on hand for future mug cakes):
- Sugar-Free Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Chocolate Mousse