|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 31mg||156%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The classic Chef's Salad recipe, which includes meat and cheese, is not kosher. Fortunately, kosher cookbook author Susie Fishbein has created a kosher recipe for Chef's Salad. Susie's Kosher Chef's Salad tastes wonderful, and it makes the perfect appetizer for a Sabbath meal. Mix the salad right before the meal and serve portions on individual plates. Easy, delicious and kosher!
SOURCE: Recipe reprinted with permission from Kosher by Design: Picture-Perfect Food for the Holidays and Every Day, by Susie Fishbein.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 clove garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 lemon yields Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 pound pastrami (sliced into thin strips)
- 1/4 pound salami (sliced into thin strips)
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey breast (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound mixed salad greens
In a jar or cruet, mix the mayonnaise, oil, sugar, pepper, parsley, scallions, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Shake or whisk until emulsified.
Toss the pastrami, salami, turkey, red onion, and tomatoes with the salad greens.
Right before serving, lightly coat the salad with the dressing.
Arrange portions on individual plates, and serve as an appetizer before Sabbath lunch.