Thanks to a bag of pre-cut cabbage mix, Giora Shimoni's aptly-named 2-Minute Cole Slaw is virtually prep-free. All you've got to do is mix up a quick dressing, toss everything together, and voila, you've got cole slaw! Shimoni likes the way quick salads like this one "add a colorful, healthy and light touch to everyday and Sabbath meals."
Since this recipe is so quick and easy, you'll have time to spare to jazz it up a little. Try adding sliced scallions, julienned red bell peppers, or poppy seeds to the mix. Or toss in fresh chopped herbs, such as mint or cilantro. Like a little spice? Add a dash of Cajun seasoning, hot sauce or sriracha to the dressing.
Make it a Meal: Cole Slaw is a classic barbecue side, and this quick and easy version is ideal for casual entertaining. Try it with this Brisket with Mango Barbecue Sauce, this dairy-free, corn kernel-studded Cornbread, and an Avocado, Hearts of Palm, Edamame & Za’atar Salad. For dessert, think seasonal fruit pies or crisps, like this Cherry Pie with Oatmeal Streusel in summer, or an Apple and Dried Cherry Crisp in fall.
- 1 pound (400 gram) package of pre-cut cabbage and carrots
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the cabbage and carrot mixture in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and salt. Taste the dressing and add you to 1/2 teaspoon more sugar if you prefer a sweeter coleslaw.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.