What is Grow and Behold?:
Grow and Behold is an online purveyor of Glatt kosher pasture-raised meat and poultry, along with wild salmon, gourmet gefilte fish, and specialty cheese. Grow and Behold features many specialty cuts of meat that are hard to find in the kosher marketplace, including Filet Mignon-style beef medallions, beef "bacon," beef osso buco, and specialty sausages including Merguez and a chorizo-style sausage. Stocks and ground meats are also available. E-gift certificates are available in $25 increments for convenient gift-giving.
Grow and Behold Basics:
Established in 2010 by Naftali and Anna Hanau, Grow & Behold sources and distributes OU-certified, Glatt Kosher, pastured meat thorough its website, growandbehold.com. In line with their mission "to adhere to the strictest standards of kashrut, animal welfare, worker treatment, and sustainable agriculture," the Hanaus work exclusively with small, sustainably-operated family farms and slaughterhouses, to ensure that from farm to plate, they collaborate only with others who share their commitment to ethical meat production.
Commitment to Workers' Rights & Safety:
Unfortunately, in much of the US, working in the meatpacking industry remains as dangerous as it was when Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle, and the kosher meat industry has not been immune.
In contrast, and guided by halachic business guidelines, Grow & Behold takes a stand to protect workers all along its supply chain by:
- Working only with farms and processors that pay their workers fair, livable wages.
- Paying the farmers who raise the meat a fair price for their products, and rewarding those who achieve high kosher production rates.
- Ensuring that the small slaugherhouses with which they work place top priority on worker safety.
Ethical Treatment of Animals:
Grow and Behold:
- Works with farmers who respect the natural inclinations and diets of animals by raising them on pasture, and avoiding antibiotics and hormones.
- Sources meat from farms located close to their processing facilities, so that the animals are not subjected to the stress of long-distance travel.
- Utilizes animal handling guidelines based upon those developed by Dr. Temple Grandin, so that the animals will remain calm and stress-free from arrival at the slaughterhouse through shechitah, or ritual slaughter.
- Works with slaughterhouses equipped to allow animals to remain upright during slaughter, and affording the shochtim adequate time to do their jobs, while treating the animals with utmost respect.
- Never uses the inhumane shackle and hoist systems, electric prods, or other painful techniques that many processors employ.
Grow and Behold places priority on minimizing its environmental impact via efforts such as bulk product shipping, responsible waste-water management and manure handling, and pasture rotation.
Ordering and Contact Information:
Grow and Behold ships individual orders nationwide. To help mitigate the environmental impact and expense of cross-country shipping, several buying clubs operate in Jewish communities before both Jewish holidays and national holidays such as Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. For those in the New York area, home delivery is an option, while customers in Philadelphia and southern New Jersey have the option of picking up orders at one of several drop-off locations.
Shipping costs are calculated by product weight and shipping distance. Because it is more cost-effective to ship full containers, Grow and Behold's website features a "smart" shopping cart, which tracks product weight and helps shoppers hone in on available products that will fill the shipping container.
Grow and Behold ships via FedEx in both small and large insulated coolers. Orders ship only on days that guarantee arrival prior to Shabbat or holidays.
- Website: GrowandBehold.com
- Phone: 1-888-790-5781
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org