This herbed lamb chop casserole recipe features carrots and onions and makes a delicious dinner.
Rib and loin lamb chops are too pricey and tender to be braised in a casserole. But this dish makes use of less-expensive shoulder lamb chops which are cut from the arm portion of the shoulder and are a tougher cut of meat -- prime candidates for the braising pot.
- 4 shoulder lamb chops, about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 6 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium peeled and cubed potatoes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent base or granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- Trim excess fat from lamb chops. Rinse and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown lamb chops well on both sides for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Arrange lamb chops in a single layer in a shallow, 2-quart baking dish. Add carrots, onions, and bay leaf. If desired, add optional cubed potatoes. Sprinkle lamb chops with thyme, oregano, and pepper.
- Dissolve beef bouillon, bouillon granules or beef base in the boiling water.Pour over lamb chops. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and drain off the fat. Bake 20 minutes longer. Serve lamb chops with vegetables and pan juices.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|