|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This herbed lamb chop casserole recipe features carrots and onions and makes a delicious dinner.
Rib and loin lamb chops are too pricey and tender to be braised in a casserole. But this dish makes use of less-expensive shoulder lamb chops which are cut from the arm portion of the shoulder and are a tougher cut of meat -- prime candidates for the braising pot.
- 4 shoulder lamb chops, about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 6 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium peeled and cubed potatoes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent base or granules
- 1 cup boiling water
Trim excess fat from lamb chops. Rinse and pat them dry with paper towels.
In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown lamb chops well on both sides for about 15 minutes.
Heat oven to 375 F.
Arrange lamb chops in a single layer in a shallow, 2-quart baking dish. Add carrots, onions, and bay leaf. If desired, add optional cubed potatoes. Sprinkle lamb chops with thyme, oregano, and pepper.
Dissolve beef bouillon, bouillon granules or beef base in the boiling water.Pour over lamb chops. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Uncover and drain off the fat. Bake 20 minutes longer. Serve lamb chops with vegetables and pan juices.