Grilled lamb sausage in a warmed bun or pita, topped with a toasted cumin and mint yogurt sauce. If you're tired of the usual cookout hot dog and looking to try something new, then this is certainly the sausage sandwich to try!
- 6 lamb sausages
- 6 lightly toasted deli hot dog buns or pita bread
- For Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups (360 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL cumin seeds (toasted)
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL sea salt
To Prepare Sauce:
- Toast cumin seeds in a pan for 1-2 minutes, add peppercorns and toast for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Using spice or coffee grinder, pulverize cumin and pepper until powdered.
- Pour the yogurt to a large bowl. Stir in pulverized cumin and pepper, salt, and garlic. Add chopped mint and tomato to mixture and stir to combine. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
To Prepare Sausages:
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Place lamb sausages onto grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning often.
- During last few minutes of cooking time, add buns to grill or place pitas in foil and throw onto the grill to warm. Remove from heat and place lamb sausages onto the bread of your choice and top with yogurt sauce and chopped cilantro.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|