Use lamb or beef in this flavorful stew. The dumplings are made with the addition of dried herbs or fresh chopped parsley. They're very easy to make with biscuit baking mix. Lamb shoulder is a good choice for this stew.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, or beef
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch fresh mixed herbs, tied with a string (thyme, rosemary, chives, parsley)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- Herb Dumplings:
- 2 cups
- biscuit baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs or parsley
- Put the vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Coat meat in flour and then brown in oil in a skillet.
- Add onions and cook until lightly browned.
- Place the browned meat, onions and vegetables in large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add garlic powder. Place the bundle of herbs in middle of mixture. Cover with the beef broth and simmer for 2 hours over low heat.
- While stew is cooking, make dumplings (see below). Salt and pepper to taste.
- About 20 minutes before serving time, combine the biscuit baking mix with the milk and dried herbs or parsley. Mix until moistened. Drop onto the boiling stew and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Cover the pan and continue simmering for 10 minutes longer.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|