Tikka masala is reportedly the most popular restaurant dish in England (the Brits do love their Indian restaurants). But just as General Tso's chicken is an American invention, tikka masala is a British invention - not that it matters. It's an easy dish to make and if you discount the time it spends marinating in the refrigerator it's also quick to make, meaning you can serve it within 30 minutes.
- 1 pound lamb stew meat
- For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic (smashed)
- 1/2 inch ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (available in most spice sections)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 small onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1/2 inch ginger (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes (7.5 ounces petite diced)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Thoroughly stir together marinade mixture.
- Pour into a zippered bag, add chicken, and toss to coat lamb thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Remove lamb from bag and pat between paper towels to remove some (but not all) of the marinade.
- Broil lamb on the second rack from the top until it begins to brown about 5 to 7 minutes. Set lamb aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, sprinkle with garam masala and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins dry. Stir in cream.
- Add lamb to the sauce. Simmer 10 minutes then serve over rice.
Basmati rice is the best rice choice for this lamb tikka masala. You can add 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric to the rice to make it yellow. When the rice is done, you can stir in some frozen peas and allow the peas to cook for 5 minutes in the rice pot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||35 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|