Lance J. Mayhew is a professional mixologist, drinks writer, and author. He's considered an authority on spirits, appearing in numerous publications and on broadcast media.
- Freelance writer
- Certified Specialist of Spirits
- Award-winning mixologist at some of the most notable restaurants in Portland, Oregon
- On-air personality for two radio stations discussing spirits
Lance J. Mayhew is a former writer for The Spruce, contributing articles and recipes for three years. He was a bartender and bar manager for over 16 years. During his time behind the bar, Lance received numerous accolades for his creative and seasonal cocktail creations. He was a restaurant management instructor at Oregon Culinary Institute in Portland, Oregon, and a Certified Specialist of Spirits. Additionally, Lance founded and was the president of the first independent craft bartenders guild in America.
During his time in Portland, Lance has been associated with such respected establishments as Beaker & Flask, Meriwether’s Restaurant, 50 Plates, Branch Whiskey Bar, and the acclaimed Urban Farmer restaurant at The Nines Hotel. Lance is now a freelance writer for print and web publications focusing on spirits and cocktails. He frequently teaches mixology and spirits seminars in the Pacific Northwest to groups as diverse as Culinary Institute of America to the Oregon Restaurant Association, as well as serving as a beverage program consultant for bars and restaurants throughout the country.
Lance J. Mayhew attended the Western Culinary Institute. He is a Certified Specialist of Spirits.
Awards and Publications
- Named one of America’s Ten Trendsetting Mixologists in 2008 by the Beverage Network
- Twice selected to attend the Grand Marnier and Navan Mixology Summit featuring the nation's top 100 bartenders.
- "Whisky Made Me Do It: 60 Wonderful Whisky and Bourbon Cocktails"
- Host of the "Liquid Lunch" segment of "Terry Boyd's World" on KPAM and featured on-air bartender in residence on KGON.
- Chilled magazine, Imbibe magazine, Mutineer magazine, The Tasting Panel magazine
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.