Lance J. Mayhew is a professional mixologist, drinks writer, and author. He's considered an authority on spirits, appearing in numerous publications and on broadcast media.
- Freelance writer
- Certified Specialist of Spirits
- Award-winning mixologist at some of the most notable restaurants in Portland, Oregon
- On-air personality for two radio stations discussing spirits
Lance J. Mayhew is a former writer for The Spruce, contributing articles and recipes for three years. He was a bartender and bar manager for over 16 years. During his time behind the bar, Lance received numerous accolades for his creative and seasonal cocktail creations. He was a restaurant management instructor at Oregon Culinary Institute in Portland, Oregon, and a Certified Specialist of Spirits. Additionally, Lance founded and was the president of the first independent craft bartenders guild in America.
During his time in Portland, Lance has been associated with such respected establishments as Beaker & Flask, Meriwether’s Restaurant, 50 Plates, Branch Whiskey Bar, and the acclaimed Urban Farmer restaurant at The Nines Hotel. Lance is now a freelance writer for print and web publications focusing on spirits and cocktails. He frequently teaches mixology and spirits seminars in the Pacific Northwest to groups as diverse as Culinary Institute of America to the Oregon Restaurant Association, as well as serving as a beverage program consultant for bars and restaurants throughout the country.
Lance J. Mayhew attended the Western Culinary Institute. He is a Certified Specialist of Spirits.
Awards and Publications
- Named one of America’s Ten Trendsetting Mixologists in 2008 by the Beverage Network
- Twice selected to attend the Grand Marnier and Navan Mixology Summit featuring the nation's top 100 bartenders.
- "Whisky Made Me Do It: 60 Wonderful Whisky and Bourbon Cocktails"
- Host of the "Liquid Lunch" segment of "Terry Boyd's World" on KPAM and featured on-air bartender in residence on KGON.
- Chilled magazine, Imbibe magazine, Mutineer magazine, The Tasting Panel magazine
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.