Lasagna Sandwiches is a quick and easy baked sandwich recipe that's easy to serve and fun to eat. A hollowed out roll holds a rich meat sauce and lots of cheese.
Use rolls that are about 4" in diameter. If you can only find larger or smaller rolls, adjust the filling accordingly. You can put the tops back on these sandwiches before baking, but I like how the cheese browns when they're baked without tops.
All you need to serve with this recipe is a green salad or a fruit salad and some iced tea or sparkling water. Just be careful when you bite into these sandwiches; the filling is very hot! Let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes before you dig in.
- 10 round crusty rolls
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup grated Havarti cheese
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut a thin slice off the top off each roll and set aside. Hollow out each roll, leaving a shell about 1/4" thick. (You can save the crumbs to make bread crumbs; freeze them for another use.)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage with the onion and garlic, stirring to break up the meat, until the sausage is browned and cooked. Drain well.
- Add the pasta sauce and Italian seasoning to the meat in the skillet; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, and egg until blended. Stir in the Havarti cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Divide the meat mixture among the hollowed-out rolls. Top each with the ricotta mixture and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Place all of the filled rolls on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the cheese on top starts to brown. Let the sandwiches cool for 10 minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||65 g|
|Saturated Fat||28 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|