- Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt, and the self-rising flour in the top pan of a double boiler.
- Slowly stir in milk. Set the pan over simmering water and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl then briskly stir a small amount of the hot mixture (about 1/2 cup) into them. Add the egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture in top of double boiler and stir in butter and vanilla. Cook until mixture thickens again.
- Place a layer of vanilla wafers in an 11x7-inch baking dish (or other shape 2-quart shallow baking dish). Add half of the sliced bananas. Pour half of pudding mixture over banana layer. Repeat layers, ending with remaining pudding. In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until foamy; gradually beat in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake at 350 F until browned completely. Remove from oven. Serve hot or cold.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|