|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This strawberry shortcake is made with a soft dough with an egg. The dough is baked in a round cake pan then it is split horizontally and filled.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or granulated sugar'
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
To Make the Strawberry Filling
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare strawberries an hour or two before serving. Slice the fresh strawberries, leaving 8 to 12 whole for garnishing.
- Place the sliced berries in a bowl; add 3/4 cup brown sugar or granulated sugar and let stand for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
To Make the Shortcake
- Heat the oven to 400° F.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Sift.
- Work in butter with pastry blender or fingertips; add egg and milk. Mix just until dough is moist.
- Turn dough into a buttered and floured 8 or 9-inch round cake pan and pat into shape.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out with dough clinging to it, lower the heat to 350° and bake about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and split horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Butter the cut side of both layers.
- Put layers together with strawberries and their juice between the layers and on top.
- Garnish with several whole berries, if desired, and serve with whipped cream.