Whether you just don't feel like cooking or you have a busy day ahead of you, this slow cooker chicken is the perfect solution. All you have to do is throw four ingredients together in the crock pot with some basic seasonings and then set it and forget it! The slow cooker does all the work while you go about your daily routine.
Cream of mushroom soup and sliced mushrooms make up the sauce for the chicken. One reader said she added a cube of chicken bouillon for extra chicken flavor. Or replace the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken soup or cream of chicken with herbs. If you crave smoky flavor, add about 1 cup of diced ham to the dish. Or cook four strips of bacon, crumble it, and then sprinkle it over the chicken just before serving.
For a burst of color, add some pimiento or red bell pepper strips to the chicken about an hour before serving, or garnish the chicken with sliced green onion tops or fresh chopped parsley.
Serve the cooked chicken with its sauce over hot cooked white or brown rice or noodles, or serve it with mashed potatoes. Add a salad or some steamed green beans, carrots, or spinach for a well-balanced family dinner. This chicken dish is a recipe you'll make again and again, and your family will approve!.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms (with liquid)
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Sprinkle them all over with the salt, pepper, and paprika and then arrange them in the crock pot.
- In a bowl, whisk the cream of mushroom soup with the flour and the liquids from the mushrooms; stir the mushrooms into the soup mixture. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for about 5 to 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Chicken breasts can become dry and tough when slow cooked for longer than 5 or 6 hours, and some newer crock pots cook at higher temperatures. Check the chicken breasts for tenderness after 5 hours if your slow cooker tends to cook foods quickly.
- If you have to be away for more than 6 hours, consider using boneless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are more forgiving than chicken breasts. The chicken thighs contain more fat than chicken breasts, so they maintain their tenderness and juiciness after 8 hours in the slow cooker on low. Chicken thighs don't yield as much meat as chicken breasts do, so you might need 6 to 8 for a family of four, depending on the size of the thighs and your family's appetite.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||76 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|