Leda Meredith wrote for The Spruce, contributing recipes and articles for over three years. She is a prolific author and popular teacher with leading gardening and food organizations.
- Author of five books
- Teacher of food preservation for numerous organizations
- Leads medicinal and edible plant workshops around the world
- Teaching Excellence Award winner
Leda has been preserving food and foraging since she was a kid, learning at her great-grandmother's side. She teaches food preservation and other food-related topics for the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Green Edge Collaborative, Genesis Farm, Just Food, and several other organizations. She also leads foraging tours around the world.
Leda has a certification in ethnobotany from the New York Botanical Garden. Ethnobotany is the science of what people do with plants, such as using them for food.
Awards and Publications
She has an honorary doctorate in fine arts for writing from La Universidad Leonardo da Vinci in El Salvador, and is the recipient of Adelphi University's Teaching Excellence Award.
Leda Meredith is the author of five books, including:
- "Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles From Beach Plums to Wineberries"
- "Preserving Everything: Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate, Salt, Smoke, and Store Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Milk, and More"
- "Botany, Ballet & Dinner From Scratch: A Memoir With Recipes"
- "The Forager's Feast: How to Identify, Gather, and Prepare Wild Edibles"
- "The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget"
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.