- Food writer and author of five books
- Teaches food preservation for numerous organizations
- Local foods enthusiast who forages for wild edible plants and mushrooms
Leda Meredith is a former writer for The Spruce, contributing recipes and articles for over three years. She has been preserving food and foraging since she was a kid. It's all her great-grandmother's fault for teaching her.
Leda teaches food preservation and other food-related topics for the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Green Edge Collaborative, Genesis Farm, Just Food, and several other places.
Leda has a certification in ethnobotany from the New York Botanical Garden. Ethno means people, botany means plants. Putting them together equals what people do with plants, such as using them for food.Awards and Publications
She has an honorary doctorate in the fine arts for writing from La Universidad Leonardo da Vinci in El Salvador, and is the recipient of Adelphi University's Teaching Excellence Award.
Leda Meredith is the author of five books, including:
- "Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Beach Plums to Wineberries"
- "Preserving Everything: Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate, Salt, Smoke, and Store Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Milk, and More"
- "Botany, Ballet & Dinner From Scratch: A Memoir with Recipes"
- "The Forager's Feast: How to Identify, Gather, and Prepare Wild Edibles"
- "The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget"
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.