|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Prasa (leeks—in Greek: πρασόπιτα, pronounced: prah-SO-peetah) are favorites in all types of Greek cooking but are special favorites baked with cheese in phyllo (filo, fillo) dough. It's a nice variation of the classic, spanakopita. The leek pie recipe makes 6 large pieces, suitable for a main dish or snack, and can be cut into smaller pieces to use as appetizers or a side dish. Like all Greek phyllo pies, this is truly versatile! If you're new to working with phyllo dough, check the handling tips before beginning.
- 2 pounds of leeks, just the white bottom stems, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 pound salted butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound of kefalograviera cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 rounded tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound phyllo sheets (thin, 20 to 24 sheets per pound), defrosted, at room temperature)
Make the Filling
Gather the ingredients.
Sauté the leeks over medium heat in half the butter for 10 minutes.
Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper, and remove from heat.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, stir in cheese, and add the sautéed leeks. Toss to combine well.
Make the Pie
Melt the remaining butter. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
Grease the baking pan. Use half the phyllo sheets on the bottom, laying them across the full surface of the pan, brushing each lightly with melted butter.
Spread filling evenly over the phyllo and cover with the remaining sheets, brushing each one with butter.
With a sharp knife, score the pie into six large pieces and bake at 350 F (175 C) for 35 minutes or until nicely golden.
- Use a baking, roasting, or jelly roll pan slightly smaller than the size of the phyllo sheets.
- Party Suggestion: The above quantity can be made in two (2) round 9-inch springform pans for easy eating and attractive party-sized pies.
- If kefalograviera isn't available, substitute with equal parts of cubed parmesan and cubed gruyere.