|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 53g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 26g||128%|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This chicken and potato casserole is easy to prepare with cooked leftover chicken and potatoes. This makes a nice everyday meal using the leftovers from a Sunday chicken dinner. Use a cooked rotisserie chicken and cook the diced potatoes separately.
This easy chicken casserole can be topped with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese or a crunchy buttered bread crumb topping. Crushed French fried onions would be delicious as well.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (or half-and-half)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black
- 2 cups diced chicken (cooked)
- 2 cups diced potatoes (cooked)
- Optional: 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Optional: 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Optional: 1 cup cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / Gas 4.
Lightly butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Heat butter in a large, heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
Stir the flour into the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
Gradually add the milk or half-and-half, stirring, and cooking until thickened. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
In the prepared baking dish, combine chicken, potatoes, and mushroom sauce mixture.
Toss the bread crumbs with melted butter until well coated.
Top with the buttered bread crumbs or sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Other cooked vegetables may be used along with the potatoes. Add 1/2 cup or more of diced cooked rutabaga or carrots either in place of or in addition to the mushrooms.