This chicken and potato casserole is easy to prepare with cooked leftover chicken and potatoes. This makes a nice everyday meal using the leftovers from a Sunday chicken dinner. Use a cooked rotisserie chicken and cook the diced potatoes separately.
This easy chicken casserole can be topped with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese or a crunchy buttered bread crumb topping. Crushed French fried onions would be delicious as well.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups cooked diced potatoes
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs, optional
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Lightly butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Heat butter in a large, heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk or half-and-half, stirring and cooking until thickened. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- In the prepared baking dish, combine chicken, potatoes, and mushroom sauce mixture.
- Toss the bread crumbs with melted butter until well coated.
- Top with the buttered bread crumbs or sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Other cooked vegetables may be used along with the potatoes. Add 1/2 cup or more of diced cooked rutabaga or carrots either in place of or in addition to the mushrooms.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||53 g|
|Saturated Fat||26 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|