Fresh and fruity, this lei maker cocktail adds a tropical twist to a great California brandy. It's a beautifully designed brandy cocktail with a hint of spice and fruit. Best of all, it's a simple drink to mix up and perfect for casual summer entertaining.
The lei maker recipe comes from Korbel California Brandy. It's a refreshing drink that has a fantastic contrast of pineapple and ginger flavors, both great companions for the brandy foundation. Topping the drink with Sprite is a perfect finishing touch that gives it a lively taste everyone's sure to love.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the brandy, ginger liqueur, and pineapple juice.
Float with Sprite and garnish with an orchid.
Serve and enjoy!
- For the ginger liqueur, you may consider is Domaine de Canton, which is very easy to find. The King's Ginger is another excellent choice, offering a bold, snappy flavor that mixes perfectly into cocktails.
- If you want to make use of fresh pineapple, you'll get the most juice from the fruit from an electric juicer. Alternatively, place about 1 cup of cubed pineapple in your shaker and muddle it into a juicy pulp. Continue with the recipe, adding the liquors, shaking and straining, then topping the drink off with soda.
- The orchid garnish is beautiful, but not necessary. A simple lemon or lime peel or pineapple wedge can be a nice alternative touch.
- If you do use the flower as a garnish, ensure it has not been sprayed with pesticides so it doesn't taint your drink.
- Orchids are edible flowers, though it's more of a decoration on this cocktail. You can buy fresh orchids for this purpose. Just make sure that they'll be shipped to you quickly and just in time for your event (their "shelf life" is typically around five days).
- Pour your favorite citrus soda instead of Sprite, if you wish. You could also use ginger ale or, for a lighter touch, club soda or flavored sparkling water.
- Replace the soda with sparkling wine. Primarily a winery, Korbel offers some wonderful "California Champagnes" that are a great match to their brandy. For this cocktail, consider a dry (brut) wine, either white or rosé.
How Strong Is a Lei Maker Cocktail?
The lei maker cocktail's alcohol content is similar to that of wine. It should mix up to about 14 percent ABV (28 proof), which is a perfectly casual strength for mixed drinks.