Lemon Bars must be sweet and tart, with a crisp yet tender crust and smooth, almost fluffy filling. This is the perfect bar cookie recipe. It has much more lemon juice than most lemon bars, and that is what makes the filling so tender and flavorful. This bar cookie is also frosted with a tart lemon mixture for even more flavor.
When you make this recipe, be sure to measure all of the ingredients correctly. The flour should be measured by lightly spooning it into a measuring cup and leveling off the top. Never scoop flour out of its container with the cup; that will give you too much and the bars will be tough. Measure powdered sugar this way too.
This bar cookie is perfect on a cookie tray and it's also great to give as gifts. It makes a great snack for afternoon tea too. Slice it into squares, triangles, or rectangles for a pretty look.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (powdered)
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
- 5 medium eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups sugar (powdered)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and 3/4 cup melted butter; mix with a hand mixer or a spoon until crumbs form. Press the crumbs into the bottom and 1/2" up sides of a 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is just set.
- While the crust is in the oven, beat the eggs with electric mixer until they are very light and fluffy; this should take about 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, beating until the mixture is light yellow and thick. Beat in the baking powder, flour, 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons lemon juice, and the salt until combined.
- When the crust comes out of the oven, pour the filling over as soon as it is beaten together. Return the bars to the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes longer or until the filling is set and light golden brown on top. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Mix well with a wire whisk, then pour the frosting over the cooled bars. You can also sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar through a small sieve.
- Refrigerate the bars until cold, then cut into squares or rectangles to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|