Many of us have been there. Enjoying the summer weather outdoors while grilling up a meal with friends or family...and then slicing into an overcooked, dry piece of grilled chicken. Womp Womp.
This recipe is the answer to those dry grilled chicken disappointments. Simple, easy, and mostly hands off, too. This is a juicy piece of grilled chicken you'll want to keep enjoying bite after bite.
These bone-in, skin on chicken breasts are juicy and full of lemon, garlic, and basil flavors. Lemon slices and fresh basil leaves are placed under the skin of each chicken breast along with crushed garlic. The entire breast is lightly coated in olive oil and salt and pepper.
The chicken breasts cook on the top rack of the grill with the grill cover closed for about 45 minutes. No flipping or standing over a hot grill required.
The result is a juicy, flavorful piece of grilled chicken without slaving over the hot grill. Serve these grilled chicken breasts alongside your favorite gluten-free summer side dishes for a meal full of summer flavors.
For a bit of added heat, sprinkle crushed red pepper either under the skin or on top of the chicken breasts. You could also use thyme leaves or oregano in place of basil for diverse flavors.
- 4 Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brush grates of grill's top shelf lightly with oil. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (between 400 and 450 F).
- Partially remove the skin from each chicken breast. Slather a small spoonful of crushed garlic over top each chicken breast, evenly distributing between the four breasts.
- Even distribute chopped basil leaves between the four breasts and place evenly over top the garlic, followed by 2 to 3 slices of lemons (depending on the size of the chicken breast). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Gently return the skin over the chicken breast, covering and securing the ingredients inside.
- Coat your hands lightly with olive oil, then take your hands and gently rub each chicken breast to add a light layer of olive oil over each (wash hands thoroughly after!)
- Season tops of each chicken breast with additional salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts on the top rack of the grill. Cover and close the grill.
- Cook chicken for 45 minutes, or until completely cooked through. No need to flip.
- Remove chicken from grill once thoroughly cooked through. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken alongside your favorite gluten-free summer side dishes, removing the lemon slices from under the skin before you enjoy.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||70 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|