Most of Spain is hot in the summers, so Spaniards think of plenty of ways to keep cool. Other than going to the beach, they enjoy plenty of cool drinks. Clara beer, or lemon beer, is a popular summertime drink.
Luckily, it is easy to make and very refreshing. Sometimes called a shandy, this "beer cocktail" is light enough to drink on a hot summer day, without being too intoxicating. It will keep you cool while refreshing your taste buds.
A typical Clara beer is one part of Spanish beer and one part Caserta, such as lemon-flavored tonic water). A Clara con limón is one part Spanish beer and another part lemon soda. In this beer recipe, we simply mix Spanish beer with lemonade. Like a more lemony flavor without lemonade? Try some lemon-lime soda such as Sprite or 7 Up and then mix it with straight lemon juice, sugar and soda water. There are many different varieties of Clara beer.
The wine was popular in Spain, but the beer wasn't as common until emperor Charles V came to Spain from Flanders and brought beer to the court. Flanders was a hub for beer, so Charles retained a brewmaster from central Europe. He put in a small beer factory in a monastery.
Although Spanish beers are not as well-known as the German beers, they are growing in popularity and are especially popular within the country. In fact, the country of Spain is the fourth largest beer maker in Europe. It is the tenth largest beer producer in the world. In the country, beer is a very popular drink. Spaniards do not order "pints" of beer such as the British do; they order a caña, which is a small glass of beer. It also comes in a tube, which is a long glass. Beer is often served in a bottle, too. Here are a few other popular Spanish beer choices:
- Cruzcampo: One of the country's biggest selling lagers.
- Damm: This Mediterranean beer is made with malt, rice, and hops.
- Mahou: A beer made by Grupo Mahou-San Miguel, a Spanish brewing company. It is the leading brand in the Spanish beer market.
- San Miguel: A popular beer served in Span that is made in the Philippines.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour half the beer into each glass.
Slowly pour the lemonade into the two glasses.
- If the glass isn't chilled, try this to quickly cool down the Clara beer: Place a few ice cubes in the glass, pour in beer and lemonade, then remove the ice with a spoon.