- 12 lemons (juice removed and strained)
- 1 lemon rind
- 3-inch piece ginger (grated and then pulp squeezed to remove juice)
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 a nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon aniseed (fennel seeds/saunf)
- 2 pounds sugar
- Put the cloves, nutmeg, and aniseed in a clean, dry coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Put 1 liter of water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the powdered spices, simmer and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and boil till you get syrup of half-thread consistency. See How to Make Sugar Syrup for more details. Once syrup is ready, remove from heat and allow to cool. The spice sediment will settle during this time.
- Strain the spiced syrup into another bowl. Add the lemon and ginger juice to the syrup and mix well.
- Pour into a bottle (use a funnel) and store in the refrigerator.
- To serve, pour Lemon Ginger Squash into a tall glass, according to taste and add crushed ice and chilled water. Stir, garnish with a slice of lime/ lemon and serve!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|