- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (unsalted, softened)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (separated, at room temp)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (sift before measuring)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup lemon curd (purchased)
- For the filling:
- 1 cup lemon curd (purchased)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or spray with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 3/4 cup of butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture (about 4 flour additions and 3 buttermilk additions). Beat just until blended.
- In small glass or metal bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg white mixture, in thirds, into the cake batter.
- Spread batter in prepared pans. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert onto racks and cool completely.
Frosting and Filling
- In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 3/4 cup of butter for 2 minutes, until fluffy. At low speed, beat in confectioners sugar, cream, and 1/3 cup of lemon curd until smooth.
- Cover; chill 20 minutes, until spreadable consistency.
- Using a serrated knife, level tops of layers if necessary. Place 1 layer on serving plate; spread with the 1 cup of lemon curd.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set the lemon curd.
- Top with remaining layer.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with the cream cheese frosting; refrigerate. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
- Garnish with fresh berries or candied lemon slices, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|