Fresh lemon zest gives this lemon pastry cream recipe a sweet, invigorating vibe. If you can’t find lemon liquor to complete the recipe, use 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract as a substitute. For a traditional flavor, pair the lemon cream with fresh berries. For a classic European combination, simply glaze the filled pastry with a bittersweet chocolate frosting.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk and lemon zest over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam.
- While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the milk is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture.
- Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract and lemon liquor (or extract), and chill before filling pastry.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|