This fabulous lemon pound cake will, without a doubt, become one of your favorites. The cake is moist and filled with fresh lemon flavor.
The warm cake is brushed with a fresh lemon and sugar sauce, making it even more moist and lemony. If you're looking for a smaller cake, you might try a lemon pound cake loaf.
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch tube cake pan.
- Beat butter in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric hand-held mixer.
- Gradually add oil, beating until well-blended.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well. Continue beating for about 5 minutes, or until very light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in lemon extract.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 35 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. The cake will pull away from the sides of the pan slightly.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place directly on a wire rack or invert onto a rack if using a 1-piece pan.
- Combine glaze ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Brush lemon glaze on sides of cake and spoon glaze over top, a little at a time.
- Let cake cool completely before serving.
Tips and Variations
- Try adding a dash of salt in the recipe to bring out the lemon flavor.
- Add a few teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest to the cake batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla along with the lemon extract, and add the juice and zest of 1 lemon, if desired.
- Bake the cake in a generously greased and floured Bundt cake pan.
- You can try baking the cake at 325 F for a little less time. Check with a toothpick at around 1 hour and 15 minutes if you increase the heat to 325 F.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|