Serve this moist lemon pound cake with fresh strawberries or blueberries. Dust the cake with powdered sugar or drizzle the optional fresh lemon glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
Related Recipe: Mouthwatering Lemon Pound Cake
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Optional Glaze:
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- Juice of two lemons
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Butter and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with 2/3 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and lemon-colored; blend thoroughly into creamed mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to the first mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat well.
- Blend in the lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and the extracts. Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool in pan on a rack for about 45 minutes; remove from pan and cool thoroughly. If desired, sift powdered sugar over the top.
Optional Lemon Glaze
- In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup of sugar with the juice of two lemons. Simmer over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually brush the lemon syrup over the top and sides of the warm cake.
Pound cakes rely — at least in part — on the air incorporated when the butter and sugar is creamed. Cream the butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes, or until pale in color and fluffy.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|