Easy Lemon Roast Chicken is an absolute favourite way of serving this popular bird. The chicken remains moist and succulent yet with soft flavours of lemon and garlic. The butter melts and helps to create the buttery gravy made after the chicken is cooked once a little wine is added and the juices from the bird.
- 1.5kg (3 lb 5 oz) roasting chicken
- 110g (4 oz) butter, softened
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1 bulb garlic, skin on and halved across the bulb
- 100ml (3½fl oz) dry white wine
- 200ml ½ pint chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat the oven to 200C/400/Gas 6.
- Make sure your chicken is at room temperature. Wipe the chicken over with a piece of kitchen paper to make sure it is dry. Never ever wash a chicken under running water, as this can lead to cross-contamination.
- Place the roasting chicken breast side up in a deep roasting tin. Massage the softened butter all over the chicken breasts, legs and sides.
- Tuck one-half of the lemon and one-half of the garlic into the chicken cavity. Squeeze the juice of the second half over the chicken breast, and pop the squeezed lemon into the roasting tin with the second half of the garlic bulb.
- Place the roasting tin into the oven and cook for 1 hr 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the tin and wrap tightly in aluminium foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Place the roasting tin on a medium heat on the stove top and bring the juices up to a gentle simmer. Raise the heat to high and add the white wine. Stir the wine and juices thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, stir again and simmer until reduced by at least one-third.
- Unwrap the chicken and add any juices released by the chicken into the sauce and bring back to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat, and strain through a fine sieve into a warmed sauceboat or jug. Keep warm until the lunch is ready to serve.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce on the side. As the sauce stands it will separate, but I serve it with a fork alongside making it simple to lightly whisk the sauce should this happen. When it does do not worry. All those marvellous flavours still taste wonderful.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||91 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|