|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 93g||34%|
|Dietary Fiber 25g||89%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Comfort foods needn't be high fat or high calorie. Soup is a great example. You can make delicious, nutritious, and satisfying soups such as this Lentil and Black Bean soup, which is packed full of low-fat, high-fiber goodness. If you choose to use vegetable broth, this makes a great vegetarian lunch.
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, and garlic until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle cumin and chili powder, cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add lentils, black beans, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Per Serving: Calories 127, Calories from Fat 14, Total Fat 1.6g (sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 503mg, Carbohydrate 22.2g, Fiber 7.1g, Protein 6g