|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||36%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious lentil soup is made with spicy smoked sausage and spinach, along with a Cajun or Creole seasoning blend and diced tomatoes. The soup is a wonderful combination of ingredients.
I used andouille sausage in the pictured soup. A chicken or turkey smoked sausage or kielbasa could be used as well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 8 to 12 ounces spicy andouille sausage, chicken apple sausage, or another smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 6 to 8 ounces chopped fresh spinach
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions, celery, and carrots in the olive oil until onion is tender.
Add the sausage slices and cook to lightly brown.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Add the lentils, seasoning blend, cayenne, thyme, pepper, chicken broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking for 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.
Add salt, to taste, and spinach.
Cover and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes longer.