This delicious lentil soup is made with spicy smoked sausage and spinach, along with a Cajun or Creole seasoning blend and diced tomatoes. The soup is a wonderful combination of ingredients.
I used andouille sausage in the pictured soup. A chicken or turkey smoked sausage or kielbasa could be used as well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 8 to 12 ounces spicy andouille sausage, chicken apple sausage, or another smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 6 to 8 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions, celery, and carrots in the olive oil until onion is tender.
- Add the sausage slices and cook to lightly brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the lentils, seasoning blend, cayenne, thyme, pepper, chicken broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking for 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.
- Add salt, to taste, and spinach.
- Cover and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|